Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Wheelchair races

Of course there is a reason I have been quiet for a while. Last Sunday my back started going into spasm again (just 2 weeks into recovery from previous spasm) and I was pretty much disabled for the next 3 days. Sunday night MrM had to roll me around the house on my office chair because I couldn't sit, lie down or stand without yelping in pain. So on Monday, I armed myself with brand new prescriptions and a rental wheelchair.

Oddly, having a wheelchair made me feel very liberated. It freed me from having to ask MrM to walk me to the bathroom or to bed or to the kitchen for a glass of water. We cleared out furniture and rugs (very hard to wheel on rugs), pulled out the sofa bed and turned our home into a veritable disabled pad.

By the time my meds kicked in, I was feeling positively cheerful about my condition, and Ro and I engaged in some racing. It was a blast! Here's to making lemonade out of a lemony back.

Test driving the vehicle with passenger

Let the race begin!

Whee! Ro beat me on most rounds.

"Lets go that way again, mom"

K&P joined in the fun

We eventually stopped when the dogs got too hyper from the excitement and kept getting underfoot (underwheel?). Fun times! If anybody needs a rental wheelchair in Austin, I can recommend the services of The Kerring Group.

Hope everybody had a good Thanksgiving! We did some local travel and you'll read about that in my next post.

1 comment:

Katherine said...

two comments. 1. This gives a whole new dimension to girl-on-wheels 2. I LOVE that you categorized this as fitness. :)