I decided to give brunch a shot this weekend and tried two new recipes. I like them enough that I think I can recommend them to the world at large. That doesn't mean I made them perfectly, of course...
The first one is green onion buttermilk biscuits. I messed this recipe up, but since I know what I did wrong, I can't blame the recipe for it. The ingredient list calls for self-rising flour. I didn't have any and I made a mental note to add baking powder with my all-purpose flour, but I simply forgot. Its the mommy syndrome - if it isn't written, it isn't remembered. I miss my pre-baby memory. The biscuits tasted really nice, but were flat and crunchy instead of fluffy and soft. I live and I learn.
All Purpose Flour: Works for all purposes except self-rising. ;-)
The second recipe was pretty fool proof and benefited greatly from the fact that I could assemble it the previous night, when I wasn't tired, distracted or hungry. It is a baked French Toast Casserole. As soon as I read the recipe, it made my arteries clog up, so I made some changes to it. I subbed the Half & Half with its lesser fat-free cousin. And rather than the suggested topping, I saved time, and perhaps some butter, by using 1/2 cup (for half the recipe volume) of pralined pecans (thank you, Austinuts), crushed them and spread them over the top. My other thought was to do a flan-like caramel topping, but I decided to go with the nuts.
Despite making only half the volume, it still baked for 40 minutes. But then, it had to share its heat with some Pillsbury honey biscuits I popped in there as backup in case my buttermilk biscuits sucked.
It has been a very buttery weekend for me. As I celebrate my one-month anniversary of not being able to workout, I just hope I come out of this with my jeans's seams intact.
No comments:
Post a Comment