Last year we bought a Saeco super-automatic machine, but its finish looked so cheap that the moment we took it out of the box (online order) we knew were weren't keeping it. I kept going back to this desire and a whole year later I was ready to open my wallet again.
We picked a Jura-Capresso model that has a small footprint. Most super-autos are huge and our counter-top has enough equipment living on it already. We also picked a machine that has a bean bypass - I can put in ground decaf through the bypass for an occasional cup of decaf while the main chamber is loaded with regular beans. I went crazy reading and researching on CoffeeGeek . Their tips on perfect foam didn't quite work with my wand, but guess what, it turned out to be easier :) All I have to do is make sure the water is heated up for steam and stick my wand in its "foam" position all the way into my milk. Voila!

Here's my assessment after a few weeks of ownership:
Pros:
- Awesome crema on the espresso
- Very easy to use milk wand
- Easy top-load access to fill beans
- Easy access to dump grinds and clean drip tray
- Fairly quick heatup going from brew temps to steam temps
- Programmable default setting for coffee strength and ounces per cup.
Cons:
- Rinses when it powers on/off, so you always need a cup underneath (I don't like my drip tray getting loaded with water)
- Non-intuitive user interface
- Steam wand occasionally flies off - haven't debugged the cause, but frequent cleaning is keeping it happy.
- Haven't found a way (yet) to program delay before auto shut-off.
- Water tank is in the rear with no level indicator in the front, so it catches me off-guard when I run out of water after steaming my milk, but before I've brewed my espresso.
Of course, knowing me, you might wonder if a new hobby is brewing here. Cappuccino art! All I have right now is the beginning of an unrefined apple:

Here is where I am headed (pic not mine):
A real apple :

And of course, the end goal: Art examples at CoffeeGeek
No comments:
Post a Comment