I watch way too many serious movies but this isn't one of them. It was recommended to me by my piano teacher as a fun romp and I wasn't disappointed! Just before writing this post I looked up the movie to refresh names and faces in my mind and I noticed it was based on a novel by Neil Gaiman. In retrospect, that explains why I enjoyed the story so much!
Stardust is a smart and funny fantasy movie about a young man called Tristan who promises to bring a fallen star to win the heart of the girl of his dreams. If this premise makes the movie aficionado in you reach for the delete button on your Netflix queue, resist the urge! The fallen star, as Tristan finds, turns out to be a lovely woman (played by Claire Danes) who is being hunted for the magical powers that a star carries. The movie takes you into the world of evil witches (Michelle Pfieffer), flying pirate ships captained by a hilarious Robert de Niro, and the search for a heir to the throne of a magical land. The only part of the movie that felt slow to me was the one with Robert de Niro's pirate ship. However, this part was critical to the development of Tristan character and there wasn't much that could be edited out.
As fantasy and fairy tale movies go, this one was perfect for me. Smart dialogue, magic spells, evil witches and sword fights! There was nothing more I could ask for. Grab your favorite fun drink, pop this movie in your DVD player and enjoy the rest of your evening!
1 comment:
Sweet! I just put Stardust into my Netflix queue.
Post a Comment