Tuesday, July 8, 2008

No Gardasil for RoRo

RoRo had his 2 month vaccination appointment this week. Poor baby - one minute he was sleeping peacefully in grandma's arms..
...and the next, he was at his doctor's place with 5 little bandaids (3 on one thigh and 2 on another) stuck on his plump baby skin.
But he was a little trooper and stopped crying as soon as MrM picked him up. As his onesie says, he is a Big and Strong Rhino!

As I was sitting in the clinic I saw many posters for Gardasil, the HPV vaccine that Merck came out with last year. To begin with, media kept portraying it as a vaccine for cervical cancer which angered me. It is okay to say you have an HPV vaccine which targets the strains that cause cervical cancer. It is completely another thing to say that you have a vaccine for cervical cancer (this has somewhat changed by now). Internally, I heaved a sigh of relief that RoRo is a boy and won't be getting the Texas mandated vaccine.

Yes, Texas mandated. By the governer who:
Side stepped the Texas legislature to mandate this.
Received $6000 from Merck for his re-election campaign
Has ties to Women in Government, the other group which lobbied for this vaccine.

Here is a news article from last year for the non-Texans who are wondering what I am talking about.

Vaccines are a good thing and RoRo is getting all of his, but something about the Gardasil poster I saw yesterday filled my nostrils with an undeniable stench. Rant over.

No comments: