Sunday, July 20, 2008

Mid summer day's meal

I think I have the ideal summer menu for a day. Granted I made each of these on completely different days, but wouldn't eating them on the same day have been fun?

Salad - Zucchini Salad from Bon Appetit with the following modifications:
I used sesame oil instead of pistachio because I didn't have the time to run around for the latter.
I added one chopped mandarin to the salad and it made all the difference.

Main course - Baked tilapia with mixed veggies, served over rice
I made this recipe up on the fly, tossing in things from the freezer because my fridge looked rather dismal and empty. It also happens to be a one-pot recipe, which I know some of you really appreciate! I haven't made an ingredient list, so pull them out as you read along.

In an oven-worthy pot, heat 1 tbsp olive oil and add ingredients in this order:
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds and 2 dry red chillis (let them season the oil for a minute)
  • A few curry leaves
  • Lightly saute 2 tomatoes (halved and sliced)
  • A pinch of turmeric
  • Favorite assorted veggies (we had snap peas, carrots, cauliflower, and other stuff that came in a frozen bag of mixed veggies)
  • 1 tbsp of white wine vinegar
  • 1 clove (whole)
  • Fistful of almonds - blanched. some of them sliced.
Prepare tilapia loins by rubbing with juice of one lemon and black pepper. Chop into thirds (or whatever). I used 5 loins, about 5 oz each.

Add tipalia loins to pot and toss with veggies. Bake for 25-30 mins at 350 deg.
If you use the thinner tilapia filets I expect you only need to bake 15-20 mins.



Dessert - Blueberry coffee cake, previously tried and tested by wildtomato
Last summer I used my giant box of blueberries to make this delicious pie. This summer I made a coffeecake instead and it was perfect with a hot cup of coffee or chai.





No comments: