Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Syncing family calendars

I've been doing all my calendaring so far on my iPod Touch. I never sync it to my Macbook because I didn't bother as much about losing data. Last week MrM got himself a new, very cool Android based smarphone, and he decided he would finally join the public internet age and have an online google calendar to share with me.

iCal doesn't spit out exported data that is friendly with other calendars. Here are all the steps I had to take for me to have his & my google calendars on my ipod so we can see each other's schedules:

Step One: Get ipod calendar into my Google calendar on the computer (rather, on Google's server).
  1. Sync my ipod with iCal in Macbook
  2. Export data into an ics file (no other format options)
  3. Download and install Mozilla Sunbird, a cross platform calendar application
  4. Open Sunbird, import my .ics iCal file into it
  5. Export same calendar from Sunbird in .csv format
  6. Open Google calendar, import .csv from Sunbird into it. Now my Google calendar had all my iCal data.
Step Two: Share google calendars
  1. I went into my google calendar and gave MrM the right to see and create events. MrM did the same with his Google calendar and gave me rights.
Step Three: Get Google calendar into ipod
  1. Follow the steps in this instruction sheet to add your google calendar to your ipod/iphone's calendar app.
  2. Go to this link to add your secondary calendars (including the calendar MrM shared with me) to the calendars that sync with your ipod: https://www.google.com/calendar/iphoneselect
  3. I changed the default calendar in iPod to be my google calendar so that all updates will be visible to MrM. I also view all the calendars together to get a comprehensive idea of our schedules.
All done! I'm not a Google Sync user and I don't know if that would have made it any easier, but now that I am all set up, it is working out very well.

No comments: