Friday, June 26, 2009

Remember the Slumdogs? Photoblog!

Kuttu & Pixel didn't model for vain - I actually did learn from that session and shot some hoomins there :) This was my first engagement shoot and I am stoked with the results!

Here is a little sample


This is also a good time to announce that I have been building a "Photo Blog" that I can point people to if they want to look at my photography portfolio. I've put in pictures from past photo posts that have appeared on this blog. I don't expect any of my blog readers here to be checking that one out, but if there is ever an interesting shoot that I think you guys should see, I'll mention it here.

It all started with Denver... One of the photographers there asked me why was I there shooting fashion bridals if all I wanted to be was a "free photographer". I said I didn't have to be a mediocre photographer just because I was free, and I didn't want to support "you get what you pay for" with my work.

Where am I headed from here with my photography? Since this is my personal blog I guess I can blab on about it :) So far I've been taking pictures only of friends and it has been very rewarding since I have great company for the entire time they are my subjects! I've been thinking for a while about expanding to strangers, battling conflicting thoughts, and I think I've finally identified a path.

I am not ready to deal with money, business and all that stuff. I have fun taking pictures and if I started doing it as a job, I would get annoyed with it. I want people who can't afford pictures to get them for nothing. So I think I will continue doing what I do and if my stranger-subjects (as against friend-subjects) think they like my work enough to pay someone and can afford to pay someone, I will happily point them to the rescue I got Pixel from. That way, someone benefits from the hours that go into processing each shoot.

With that said, it takes marketing effort to find strangers who want to hire you, which means the rescue won't be seeing any moolah for a while. Whew! It feels nice to finally say all that on here. Thank you for listening :)

PS: If any of you guys knows how I can center that banner on my photoblog, I will be much obliged. I've spent tons of time trying to hand edit that template from a blank black sheet, and I'm TIRED!

1 comment:

lunasmom said...

Because it's a background image and not a placed image, you will need to create a banner of the exact width of your container. Open the banner image in photoshop, set your background color to the black used on your page, change the canvas size, add the extra pixels to your image width, and then save and overwrite the file on your server. That should center it.