I let the honeycomb set in a loaf pan. The boat shape of the top of this loaf tells you that it has a tendency to sink. But prepare for the liquid to double in size in the last step of honeycomb making. The bread-like holes make it gloriously light & crunchy to eat.
Here they've been broken into random chunks, coated in 54% semi-sweet chocolate and set out to harden. I tossed two pieces in the freezer for 10 mins so I could enjoy some right away.
Really easy to make although a bit messy to clean up. Here is the recipe (I halved it):
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup dark corn syrup
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon baking soda
2 cups (12-ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
Line bottom and sides a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with lightly buttered aluminum foil. Set aside.
Combine combine the brown sugar, sugar, corn syrup, vinegar and butter in a large, heavy cooking pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Continue cooking syrup, without stirring, to 300*F (150*C) on a candy thermometer, about 15 minutes. (A small amount of syrup will separate into brittle threads when dropped into cold water.)
Remove from heat and stir in baking soda, mixing well. Mixture will foam up. Quickly pour into prepared pan. Allow to set at room temperature until firm. Invert pan and peel off foil. Break into pieces.
Remove from heat and stir in baking soda, mixing well. Mixture will foam up. Quickly pour into prepared pan. Allow to set at room temperature until firm. Invert pan and peel off foil. Break into pieces.
Melt chocolate and shortening in double boiler over simmering water; dip candy pieces in chocolate. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets and allow to dry at room temperature. Store tightly covered at room temperature.
Makes about 2 1/2 pounds candy.
Makes about 2 1/2 pounds candy.
Meera's notes:
(1) The temperature goes from 295 to 310 in the blink of an eye. Keep staring at the candy thermo and stirring gently to have an accurate readings when close to the finish line.
(2) The liquid seriously doubles when you add baking soda. Pick a pot large enough for that. I let my candy cool for 45 minutes before breaking it.
3 comments:
That's so cool! I love making things instead of buying them, although the upside/downside to that is that you can have it anytime you want.
Man, I love honeycomb. It is one of my absolute favorite candies. I don't know that I am brave enough to try to make it though...
This is highly recommended. I was highly sceptical, if this would work out, but the result blew me away. And from watching it wasn't too much work for the result. I'm hooked. We need to make more!
Post a Comment