Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Topeak infant carrier for bikes

We bought a Topeak infant carrier for Ro, since I have high hopes of biking around the neighborhood with him. I wasn't too keen on having a trailer dragging behind me and I hope I haven't been presumptuous in thinking I can handle this :)

All strapped in

Protecting his grey matter

On the go - notice how his foot has come loose.

He couldn't wait to shed the helmet

That was our test ride. My learnings so far are:
1) ALWAYS wear bike shorts, even for the shortest ride
2) Need to figure out how to keep his legs strapped in (yes, we used the straps)
3) He hates his helmet. Too bad.
4) It has been 20 years since I biked with another person on a bike rack and I have lost some skills since then. It is non-trivial to have 20 lbs on the back and I was feeling a bit nervous. Maybe because this is the most precious 20 lb cargo I've carried. Still, I might have to train with a bag of rice.
5) It is hard to snap the seat on with him in it. It is hard also to buckle him on the seat if the seat is already mounted. It is almost a 2-man job, which defeats the purpose of taking him along on a solo activity.

I'll post more updates as we become good at this. At that point I'll also review the seat. But it is one of the 2 top recommended (by consumer reports) brands.

1 comment:

Leesie said...

I always had my hubby take my son for the ride. I never trusted myself with all that weight on the back! Enjoy and be safe ;o)