Thursday, January 20, 2011

Souffle time!

I baked a bunch of cookies and a cheesecake over the holidays, so I decided a needed a stand mixer (I see where my kid gets the excessive use of need in place of want). For my first mixer adventure, I picked two souffle recipes, both of which I can heartily recommend. No pics this time.

Cauliflower Souffle: Made completely as described. I don't mess with recipes when I don't know what I'm doing. Abso-freaking-lutely delicious. It can be a meal in itself with a side of hearty soup.

Chocolate souffle with Earl Grey custard sauce: Another hit! I was forced to modify this because I let my first batch of custard sauce boil over and curdle. This left me with too few eggs to cook up another batch of custard sauce. So I used two pouches of Oetker vanilla sauce and let Earl Grey tea bags steep in it. I felt that since the souffle was so bittersweet (and deliciously so!), the sauce needed to be sweeter, but you won't have this problem if you make the real custard sauce.

The good thing about this menu is that if you cook both souffles on the same day, you balance out the number of egg whites and yolks pretty well.

2 comments:

wildtomato said...

I'll have to make the cauliflower souffle soon! I wish I had some for lunch now. *pout*

Clarese said...

You must come to my house and make chocolate soufle for me. Sounds fabulous!