Thursday, January 21, 2010

Baby Signs: App review

I recently downloaded an app for baby hand signs. It is called Baby Sign ASL and it is my alternative to books & DVDs. For the dedicated student, books and DVDs are a great thing, but for someone who barely has the patience for her own reading and viewing, this was an easy choice.

I took some screen shots with my laptop's camera - yes, yes, awesome quality :) The fact that I am willing to publish crap pictures like this is the very reason my personal blog is separate from my photography blog.

I think the app has over 200 words, though I currently use only colors and numbers. The words are arranged alphabetically and you can jump to any letter using the right side index. (this picture was so crappy I had to b/w it!)


You can also look by category if you like

There is a mini video for each word. And the same woman for each video. If you look at the two symbols on the bottom of the screen shot, the + sign will allow you to add this to your Favorites list. The arrow takes you back to the index. Touching the video section of the screen replays the sign.


And another sign. The + at the bottom of this screenshot is replaced by a minus, indicating it is already in my favorites and if I press minus, I can take it out of that list.


Since we always have a few words that Ro can sign before he can say (One, Please, etc) and a few he can say but not sign (Two, ABC, etc), I try and use signs when I actually know them.

I like this app a lot. Its biggest downside is that at 92MB, it almost crashed my laptop when I synced my apps. I have no advice on how you might avoid this.

No comments: