Most dogs are lactose intolerant in their adult life. However, there is a theory that the loss of lactose tolerance can be slowed by constant exposure to it. Kuttu has been getting milkto drink ever since he was a baby. I would add some to my coffee and then some to his milk bowl. Two years ago, at the ripe age of 5, he finally lost his lactose tolerance and threw up every time I gave him milk. Such a tragedy! In the last 2 years he has never stopped looking longingly at the milk as I make myself coffee.
Enter Ro. He had a spate of really bad digestion (turns out daycare had started giving him juice which was causing it) and I cut back on lactose as the first suspect. With these lactose free bottles in our fridge, one day it occurred to MrM that Kuttu could drink lactose free milk! By then we didn't have any more left (Ro was clearly not intolerant).
Fastforward to this past weekend. We bought a quart of lactose free and MrM served them up in their retired milk bowls. Woohoo! The picture was also taken by MrM and the dogs sure have their daddy to thank for this treat. Lets hope this does the trick and Kuttu can start joining me for coffee again! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment