Simply put, a brick refers to training on two disciplines during the same workout. I was made aware of its existence by friends who are triathletes (I'm not becoming one by association), and it sounded like a great way to mix things up.
I did my first "micro mini brick" on Friday evening. It was a run/bike combo, with a 1.5 trail run followed by a 4 mile bike ride. Both were very short distances and I chose them that way so that I wouldn't fail. There is nothing worse than doing something for the first time and falling on your face, right? I found that I biked better and stronger than normal, and could do my hills faster, with higher gears than usual. Woot! There was a non-technical reason I chose to run/bike rather than bike/run. It was close to sun down and I wanted to (1) get out of the greenbelt before dark so my dogs don't get lost (2) have some shade while the sun was still out.
On Sunday morning I decided to attempt another brick. This was a bike/run. I wanted to get the full-sun ride out of the way first and also do it in the right order. It was decidedly harder. I didn't bike as well with cold muscles, couldn't stand through my first hill climb and couldn't do it in the higher gears I used on Friday. I decided to bike 8 mi instead of 4, and then did the 1.5 mile trail run. The trail run was nasty to start. I had to walk the first few minutes because my legs didn't know what to do (I have since learned this is normal for the first few bricks). The run that followed was slow and un-talk-worthy. The average athlete can walk faster than I run, and run faster than I bike.
I've always been a bad runner, and this seems to be the problem for me. I can't push myself to run fast. Out on the trail I have no idea how far I am really running and I often worry about getting lost if I go further. For me, doing these bricks has been a fun way of working out longer without running further. I get bored running anything more than 3 miles. Yes, it is because I am slow and take forever, but that information doesn't help quell my boredom.
I'll post more workout updates here if I manage to keep up with the plan. So far, these micro-mini bricks feel like a great option for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment