I was reading a blog today, written by a complete stranger who was on the blogroll of a friend, about her life with her adopted child. One post was about a hard day they had at the start, and she said she wrote it in the interest of keeping it real. Granted I don't have a target audience who needs to know about my life, but it stuck with me.
A few hours later (while still on the internet) I came across this article about how an increasing number of new moms are turning to the internet for support, communication and socializing. They talk about a new trend of internet addiction where we lose out on time with our kids, family, cleaning the home, reading a book, etc because of time spent on the internet.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/13/mothers.internet.addiction/index.html
[This would be a good time to read the article and come back to this blog post.]
After reading the article, I had my own answers for the questions: who is likely to get addicted, what drives them to the internet, what role does being married or being a mom play in this?
I consider myself a budding addict. I escape from my life in 2 ways, with the two often merging - one is the internet and the other is by making myself incredibly busy. I blog, participate in chat groups, take classes, shoot pictures, edit pictures, read at least a book a month, practice the piano, walk the dogs, and of course, I work full time. At the end of the day I might be tired, but at least I would be hitting the bed with my sanity intact.
Take a day to think about the article, where you go to for conversation, whether you need an escape, where you find it, etc. Then come back here. I'll present my thoughts in the next post.
3 comments:
I think it's directly related to a search for community. Our generation largely does not keep extended family units. We move away from our parents, siblings, and other Families. some of us move to urban areas where the pace is fast and hectic and eye contact is perceived as a form of aggression. Others move to far flung suburban sprawl area where it's difficult to meet people with whom you connect. In either case, when we embark on the motherhood journey, more and more often we are going it alone. We are lonely, anxious, and depressed; the Internet provides a forum to connect with other DISconnected moms who may be feeling the same way. Is it a new way of creating community on a national or even global scale or is it an escape from having to make in-person, lasting relationships in our own local communities? I suppose it could really go either way. I would say for me, it's a little of both.
"We move away from our parents, siblings, and other Families"
That should say: "We move away from our parents, siblings, and other relatives."
Unfortunately, the link didn't work. However, I think by most accounts, I could be considered an internet addict. I started to become one when I was in graduate school, and I needed an escape from studying for my qualifying exams. The internet brought me that escape.
If you ask my husband, he will tell you that I spend way too much time on the 'net. At the same time, he has benefitted from the things that I have found and has become increasingly interested in the many resources that are available (particularly around Russian adoption blogs, lately!).
I should mention the following:
1. My husband and I met through an online dating service.
2. Some of my closest friends are people I have met through dachshund internet boards. And I have met many acquaintances through other dog boards.
3. I am currently keeping two blogs - one for general life capture, and one about our current adoption activities.
4. I have learned more through online sources than I have through any other!
5. Being a researcher by trade, I have used the internet professionally, as well as for personal gains.
6. When my ineternet is down, I feel lost :(...
7. However, I have "real life" connections and relationships (whether grown out of online ones or otherwise) that would be much more difficult for me to do without.
Post a Comment