First we went through the home-made popcorn phase. Now it is pita chips. They make a yummy snack and can be ready in less than 15 minutes including preptime!
It started out with this recipe for Soy-Wasabi pita chips. We were out of honey so I used 2 tbsp pure maple syrup instead (1/4 cup sounded like a huge amount). I skipped cooking spray. My bake time was 13 minutes.
The next time, MrM asked if I could make it without the sweet stuff. I felt that would ruin the taste, so I tossed this together instead:
For 2-3 pocket pitas (2-3 whole circles, not halves):
2 tbsp olive oil (the bare minimum amount I could make this work with)
1/4 tsp salt
pinch garlic powder
1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
pinch chervil leaves (or basil, or any herb of your choice. Or skip this altogether)
1 tsp sambal paste.
This time I ripped the pita pockets apart so that they were thinner. I recommend you brush the spice mix on at this point, because I had a hard time doing it evenly after chopping. Chop each circle into 8 pieces. Toss into oven spread as thinly as possible and nake at 400 F for 8-12 minutes. Mine needed 12.
As far as ripping apart the pocket pitas, there is a pro and a con. They feel lighter and crispier when ripped. But, there is a thicker and a thinner side, and the baking balance is tricky. I ended up with a few brown thin pieces. When not ripped, all pieces are uniform in thickness, but just so much thicker. I make my chips with fat-free pita and they taste fantastic.
1 comment:
What a timely post! I have 6 leftover pita rounds from my bread baking frenzy last Friday. I was thinking about pita chips. Alas, so spice paste here, but plain will be fine for dipping into some hummus.
Have you ever made your own pitas? I bet it is very similar to cooking Indian flat breads - very easy.
Post a Comment