Friday, January 30, 2009

Enchanted Rock

A large group of hopeful hikers got together one Saturday morning to walk up Enchanted Rock. 9 adults, 9 kids, 9 hours in total (for a 1.5 hour hike)!

Enchanted Rock, per the Texas State Parks website, is a huge, pink granite exfoliation dome, that rises 425 feet above ground, 1825 feet above sea level, and covers 640 acres. It is one of the largest batholiths (underground rock formation uncovered by erosion) in the United States. The main trail at the park is its "Summit Trail", a mere .6 miles each way, with a 425' elevation gain. With 9 kids (4 of them in backpacks), this was good enough workout for us all.
Note: I am not pregnant or fat. It is merely a BAD idea to have something cinch your waist over a puffy vest.

Ro was pretty comfortable in the carrier and fell asleep right away.

...but only after trying to use my hair as an anchor to hold on to.

We met a cute husky puppy on the way.

Ro's little buddies at Enchanted Rock



I welcomed my night with a warm glass of freshly mulled wine. I highly recommend this drink to end a winter day with. Warm together: 1 cup red wine (I used Estancia Cab), 2" pc of cinnamon, 1 clove, orange zest, 1tsp sugar. I added 1/2 ounce each of orange juice and rum when it was nice and warm. It was perfect.

And last picture for the post is a quiz... this man forgot his hat and wore ?WHAT? on his head at my suggestion? Can you guess?

He is a good sport :)

3 comments:

Leesie said...

Hmmm...looks like a pair of one of the 'kidses' pants lol. You and RoRo might enjoy these little mocassins at Purl Bee, check 'em out:
http://www.purlbee.com/the-purl-bee/2008/11/14/whits-knits-baby-mocs.html

Meera said...

You got it, Leesie. We had a spare pair of warm baby pants, and on his head it went.
I love those mocs - wish I could knit better! I am still determined to learn and improve.

Leesie said...

Believe me, if I could knit, I'd knit 'em for RoRo myself ;o) I am hoping to learn the craft well enough to knit socks and sweaters someday! The pictures of all those cherubs on the hike are just scrumptious! Thanks for sharing...Leesie