Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Man vs Woman

Note: The title is not Men vs Women because I don't want to generalize.

Last Sunday we were about to head out for a second breakfast when my mom called with some exciting news about a future visit. I was still talking with her when MrM came over, stretched his t-shirt over his abdomen, and stuck it out for me. So I also stuck my belly out, stretched my shirt over it and mouthed "I look bloated too". And he said "No - I'm HUNGRY". Oh.

Much of our life is scheduled around MrM's hunger. Can't walk at 6pm - need pre-dinner. Can't go out on a weekend morning - need second breakfast. Can't meet anyone for late lunch. Can't come homle straight after being away for hours because he needs to grab a bite first. Sometimes I think if he didn't need to eat, our lives would be so much simpler - I could just have tons of peanut butter jelly sammies and only cook for Ro.

Some Man vs Woman differences are trickier and communication is a handy tool to highlight them.

Man: I'm going to Germany to visit old friends.
Woman: As long as you take the kid along.

Woman has second thoughts about (1) being alone and missing the boys (2) missing out on a summer trip to Germany which is something she has always wanted.

Woman: Can I come along for part of the trip?
Man: Are you panicking or do you really want to come?
Woman: Bit of both (explains above logic)
Man: Think about it.
Woman: I've thought. I want to come. Do you not want me to?
Man: I don't want you to think I don't want you to come.

Woman: So I can come?
Man: I'll be meeting my friends and going flying.
Woman: Will you fly everyday or can we hang out for some days?
Man: Not every day. But I didn't plan for you to come.
Woman: Do you not want me to?
Man: I don't want you to think I don't want you to come.

Woman: So I can come?
Man: I want to enjoy my free time and I don't want to be a translator.
Woman: So you don't want me to come?
Man: I don't.

No comments: