Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Funnies & troubles with Ro

Every so often, babies say things that make you see in a whole new way.

Reading an alphabet book this morning, I pointed to the image of a butterfly, with a "b" written next to it. I said "buh-buh-butterfly. Butterfly starts with...?". Ro:"6!". Never thought about how close "6" and "b" can look to a child.

In the same vein, we have foam numbers that Ro plays with in the bath. When we count upwards and get to the number 9, he flips it over and declares "6".

Recently, Ro was sitting in my bedroom screaming "cookies! cookies!". I decided to let him be because clearly, there were no cookies to be had. When I walked in, I found him handing out dog biscuits to the dogs. Good boy :) (Yes, Ro has done something similar before)

When it isn't fun and games, we are usually struggling with bed time. Last week Ro learned that he can jump out of his crib. So now we put him down in a regular bed and baby gate his room. However, it takes almost an hour to get him to sleep, during which time I have to sit right outside his door to just be there when he runs over to check. I need a better method. Do you Ferberize a 2-year old?

Additionally, Ro wakes up a couple of times in the night. This was never a problem when he was in the crib, but now he runs to his baby gate and hollers for mommy/daddy/milk/water at 5 in the morning. This must be payback for the fact that he's been sleeping through the night since he was 3 months old!

One day you have the easiest kid on the block, the next day you struggle to stay awake as long as your child. That's parenthood in a nutshell.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I had to laugh reading this post - I feel like I go through so many similar challenges with my Ro!

I've (mostly) comes to terms with the likelyhood that I won't have any human children in this life. I can feel slightly smug that my Ro will never learn how to get out of her crate, but at the same time I'm a little sad that she'll never realize that a B looks like a 6.

Your Ro is delightful, and I feel honored that I can watch him grow up, even if it's only online.