Friday, June 4, 2010

Staying Fit, Staying Healthy

Many months ago, I read a blog post written by my friend Molly's trainer. She talked about what made a successful athlete. As I read it, many of the things she mentioned resonated with me, and I realized they made sense even to a non-athlete trying to stay healthy and fit and be successful in her life.

Being healthy was never something I had to work hard at. I seemed to be blessed with healthy blood draw results, healthy blood pressure, healthy immunity and a healthy heart. Staying fit took work, but this was never a big deal since I used to live close to a gym and had no issues working out at 9pm and falling dead asleep at 11pm. Workouts made me sleep better even that close to bed time.

But over the last 2 years, things turned upside down. The time commitment it took to be a responsible mother, and the health impact of my recurring back & spine problems completely derailed my efforts at health, sanity and fitness. Over the last few months, I have been working hard at getting it all back together and when I read this post by Elizabeth, it made me do more than just tie my shoe laces and run.

1) She talks about being dedicated to oneself as "
eating right, sleeping enough, surrounding yourself by a supportive system". Many of us, especially young parents trying to squeeze it all in and still feel like we have a life, tend to sacrifice sleep to be able to hang out, read, workout or simply have a good time. But I've noticed the difference sleep makes, and I've decided to be party-pooper extraordinaire and nod off at 10pm if that's what my body is telling me. For more than a year, I've been exercising twice a week with a friend, and this helps me get at least those 2 days in even if I slack off on other days, and it helps me average 3-4 times a week. That's my support system.

2) A logical training plan, injury recovery, etc: I'm guilty of pushing myself through injury and sickness. But this time, I've made myself accept that I'm not exercising to be back in "running form" as soon as I can. My back has taken a beating and my muscle loss from the nerve impingement will take time to reverse. Instead, I'm accepting that I am in rehab. I'm working on things critical to my problem (core strength) while doing easy cardio and replacing running with swimming and biking.

3) Pacing and varying your pace: A few days ago, in bootcamp, we did hill sprint drills. It was my first day and someone remarked that I paced myself very well because I only ran out of breath at the very end, while some participants did the sprint too hard / walk too slow routine.
Pacing is highly relevant to both physical and mental wellness. I tend to put a lot of things on my plate - full time work, photography work, reading, playing with my kid, workouts, playing with the dogs.. there is always one more item jostling to make it on my list. At times I feel overwhelmed and I know I need to decommit from something, be that a walk, a book club meeting, or cooking. At other times I am restless and read 2 extra books, cook a lot, or work like crazy on my photography business stuff. Life is indeed all about variable pacing and malleable planning.

Reading Elizabeth's post, I realized that a lot of the things it takes to be a successful athlete are also things that you need to be successful in day to day life: Managing your commitments and pace as a parent, taking care of your health as an individual, paying attention to being your best as a person or employee or spouse, or anything else in your life.

I know this is a long post, but I hope some of you will read through it and read Elizabeth's post as well. And perhaps out of that group, a few of you will come away with ideas for making your own lives more successful, how ever you happen to define that success.


No comments: