Today sucks for many reasons, and its highlight might be the almost-accident I had this morning.
The day was set up for a bad start. I forgot to have dinner last night - After feeding Ro dinner, reading to him, changing him and putting him to bed, I retired to bed with a book, read till 11pm, had a glass of milk and went to sleep.
I woke up hungry and achy. Yet, I was having a great morning till about 8:30 when it was time to leave. Then I realized I had not had a single minute without the baby all morning, not even enough time to have coffee or breakfast. As I sipped my cup of black tea (easier to make than coffee when you have 10 seconds of free time), I popped a waffle in the toaster and gathered my things to leave. As soon as Ro saw my waffle, he wanted to eat it, so I didn't get to have breakfast either.
I'm driving to work on a rainy commute, passing pieces of my waffle to Ro while my stomach was cramping with hunger. He keeps asking for more and I'm trying to calm him down because I had no more. I miss the turn for his daycare and only realize it half a mile later on a narrow stretch with two way traffic. I get back to daycare. As I am making my left turn from the road into the driveway, someone coming out of the driveway doesn't see me and she turns left, into me. I swerve all the way to my right, into oncoming traffic and over the curb because I have no place to go. She finally sees me and stops in the middle of the road while I am backing up to get into the drive-way again. She asks me if I am okay, says she is sorry, and we move on.
This is the first time I've had such a close call with Ro. We had about a foot of distance between us that would have closed in another second if she hadn't seen me or if someone had been on the curb and I couldn't have gone over it.
Its been that kind of day. One of my favorite fun quotes is "Some days you are the dog, some days you are the hydrant". Today, I am definitely the hydrant.
1 comment:
I'm glad you and Ro are safe! Hopefully tomorrow and forevermore you will be the dog.
Post a Comment