Thursday, February 25, 2010

Park City and crazy snow: Day 4 report

The weather in the Utah mountains has been crazy the last 2 days. After very bright and sunny skiing on Monday and Tuesday, the forecast called for afternoon snowstorms on Wed/Thu. We drove up yesterday to Alta and found a whiteout on the mountain top. We couldn't see the terrain properly and the ungroomed areas were completely beyond my abilities from the amount of heavy new snow deposited on them.

To make the best of our half day ski, we headed out to Park City to check out art galleries. The one gallery I remembered from my trip here in the winter of '07 had closed. So we walked around a little, taking in the snow. I took these next 2 pictures with a slow shutter so I could capture the snow fall in nice white diagonal lines.


We stopped for dinner at Park City (restaurant review will follow) and when we were ready to head back, the storm had calmed and it was a beautiful, quiet night.
Yesterday repeated itself today and there was another whiteout at Alta. I decided not to ski and MrM only did one long run. Instead of skiing, we are heading out for a massage, then meeting my friend K for drinks, and finally heading out to Salt Lake City to sit in on a practice session of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. With this kind of plan in place, I have no regrets on a lost ski day :)

No comments: