Saturday, February 20, 2010

New India: Sad food experience

I was excited when I heard about a new Indian restaurant opening in south Austin. They featured Frankies on their menu - an Indian frankie is part of the streetfood genre, spicy potato "hotdog" rolled in a wheat tortilla with spices and chutney. However, what was advertised as a paneer frankie turned out to be a poor made fajita-ish roll with two small pieces of paneer. The bell peppers were soaked in oil but not even remotely browned and the whole thing tasted like a roll of vegetable oil instead of a paneer roll.


Thankfully the appetizers were fairly well done. The shrimp was (oddly) deep fried but tasted okay.
The Chinese Chicken tenders were also deep fried with a well made spicy dip provided with it.
In all this restaurant was a huge disappointment. It shares space with Eva B's Kolache shop which tried to do their own Indian food and then discontinued. Perhaps the location doesn't bode well for Indian food :)

3 comments:

Molly said...

Having grown up hanging out at my (Indian) best friend's house, eating the food her mom would make for us, I still haven't found an Indian restaurant that comes even close. Spoiled!

wildtomato said...

You'd think if a restaurant goes through the trouble of carrying a specialty item, it would be able to do it justice! Bummer.

Meera said...

These is definitely nothing quite as sad as believing a restaurant knows what it is doing and then being completely wrong. I'm still pouting. Molly - I can't wait for you to visit Austin and see what you think of our home food. But then again, I'm not sure I want to be measured against anyone's mom :)