Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Breakfast dinners

Last month, book club was held at my place and I chose "breakfast" as the theme for our potluck dinner. I was jonesing for some PB&J (Peanut Butter & Jelly) sandwiches since my running buddy brings a pbj for her daughter twice a week and it keeps reminding me that there is something I like that I am not eating enough of. I made a special request for someone to bring pb&j sammies for the potluck, and that really set me off on breakfast dinners!

Sure enough, I found myself contemplating "no stir", "all natural", "crunchy" and "smooth" peanut butters till I decided on "old fashioned, smooth". For the next 10 days I had PB&J sammies for dinner, always with a pink/red hued jam. Apricot jam & PB don't work well together. I haven't tried marmalade yet.

I also eat breakfast for snacks, digging into the supply of single-serving cereal boxes at work. I usually need a sugar spike I choose Fruit Loops or Frosted Flakes. On a day we were out of both, I ended up pouring myself some Honey Bunches of Oats (HBoO) from a Costco sized box, and OH MY GOD! Why had I never tasted this before? So last evening I bought myself some HBoO and had it for a snack after work while cooking dinner.

Which brings me to: cereal wars!! For years I've been a fan of blueberry cereal. It started with Post's Blueberry morning. This really used to be the best cereal in the world. Then they went and changed the flakes from something that felt substantial, to some airy corny stuff. I switched over to Kirkland's Blueberry cereal, which was SOOOOO good. So freaking good that it was 6g of fat per serving. Once I started on MrM's diet, this was a huge no-no. I bought Eating Right brand's muesli, which tasted good and came in at 3g of fat per serving. But I still missed my blueberry cereal. About this time, I discovered HoneyBoO. I buy the kind without almonds (makes it easier to share with Ro) and it comes in at 1.5g of fat for a 3/4c serving size. I can't believe my love affair with blueberry cereals is over, but it is. Lets hear it for Honey Bunches of Oats and for eating breakfast for dinner!

1 comment:

Mahesh said...

while HBOO is good... the best cereal in the planet (and of the most expensive) is Honey Nut Clusters. Try one box you will be hooked.