Thursday, September 24, 2009

Ro at 17 months


Ro is almost 17 months old. For the first year of his life I dutifully maintained a calendar that showed us exactly what he learned when, what changed when, etc. I can look back and tell you when he first ate banana puree. But once we exhausted that calendar, we stopped chronicling his new tricks.

What does Ro do these days? Last month he finally learned to steer his bike. He moves the handle bar, reverses when needed, and can walk the bike whichever way he wants. This has been a significant improvement in his quality of life since he doesn't need to be rescued every time he runs into an ottoman (we have too many).

He's been saying "ta-ba", which contextually seems to map on to "thank you". But he also says it when he gives me something, so it could be "there you go". Taba taba. He still thinks that "Kuttu" is a common noun for "dog" and calls all canines Kuttu. A little labrador toy that he got for his birthday is also called Kuttu. And when my computer's screensaver shows the dogs (almost everything in my screensaver is K&P), he points and says "Kuttu".

He is a shoe maniac! His word for shoe is "whoaoo" and he knows to pick a matching pair, bring them to me and plop himself on the floor. Wait - I already reported that a while ago.

His newest word is bye-bye. He waves cutely and blows kisses to everybody. This morning when I was leaving daycare I said "bye" and he blew me a kiss and said "b'bye". How sweet is that?

He is trying so hard to talk. Sometimes he gurgles something and I know it was a sentence, but it makes no sense. This must be such a frustrating period for him, when the words are in his head but not on his tongue. Poor guy. Talking about frustration - when he gets really mad, he has started clenching his fists and jaws and making the funniest face ever. I need to take pictures of it. Sheer hilarity!

He is still in love with babies and strollers. He'll push any stroller he sees, run around to check on the baby and peek lovingly into said baby's eyes. Perfect little chaperone. I know what all of you guys are thinking, but notice how I didn't say "perfect little big brother".

He has started liking big people food. He wolfed down 6 meatballs last week. The week before that he rejected his dinner and ate a whole mini-burger instead. We are in trouble! In fact, that's his new name. I call him "Troubles!" and he says "Yeah!". :)

If I can think of any more updates, I'll post them here. That way they will at least be in writing somewhere!