Sunday, March 8, 2009

Movie review: Nights in Rodanthe

Nights in Rodanthe (2008)
Aside: You might ask if this is a vacation related post. Vaguely. I saw it on the long flight from Washington to Frankfurt.

Summary: Avoid it

Details: Well, there isn't much detail to talk about. Diane Lane has her three stock expressions: (1) Smiling but she might frown any minute (2) So love-lorn and sad that her eyes glisten (3) hands flying to cover her mouth when the emotions become too strong (happy or sad). Richard Gere has only two stock expressions (1) I'm not smiling. My brow is furrowed. I must be angry, stressed or sad. (2) I'm smiling my crooked smile. You know I am handsome. Quit fighting it and fall in love already.

The movie uses these 5 emotions, a beach, a cabin, and ninety-seven minutes of your time to do absolutely nothing. I'm no snob - I like my romantic mush. I like to dream of a world where the 200th kiss feels just like the first and you get flowers on days other than your anniversary. But even mush must have standards, and this one didn't.

No comments: