Saturday, March 21, 2009

Chicken Bastilla: recipe review

Many moons ago I tasted delicious Chicken Bastilla (a Moroccan chicken pie) at the house of some gourmet-cook acquaintances. I shelved it in the "lots of work, but should try some day" file in my memory.

The March 2009 Issue of Bon Appétit magazine had a recipe for this same dish, and the yummy phyllo-y memories came rushing back to me. I stayed pretty true to the recipe but had about 2.5 times the quantities. Highly recommended, with the following changes.

Original recipe:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Moroccan-Style-Chicken-Pie-351511

Changes noted next to original amounts.
Filling:

* 2 tablespoons olive oil - did not increase amount
* 1 large onion, chopped - did not increase amount
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon - sub with one 2" piece of cinnamon, added with onions
* 1 teaspoon ground ginger - used a 2" pc of ginger & grated it
* 1/2 teaspoon turmeric - 3/4 tsp (turmeric in huge quantities is gross)
* 1/8 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads - 1/4 tsp
* 1 tablespoon all purpose flour - 2 tsbp
* 2 cups low-salt chicken broth - 4 cups broth + 1 more cup water
* 1 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken thighs - 3.75 lbs boneless breasts
* 1/4 cup chopped golden raisins - did not increase
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro - omitted intentionally
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley - omitted unintentionally

For the phyllo I doubled all the quantities, coarsely ground the almonds, skipped cinnamon and went easy on the butter. Other than that, I was true to instructions. Remember that the toppings on the topmost layer add all the crunchiness, so don't skimp on that.

Cooking: I first browned all the breasts on a grill pan and then chopped them down to 2" dices before adding. The recipe suggests doing all the shredding at the end, but I prefer my chicken well soaked in flavor. While cooking, it looked like I had way too much liquid. Once shredded, the chicken soaked every last drop up.

I cooked this for 4 ppl, but we barely consumed half the pan. I used a 9x13 pan to bake.




2 comments:

Clarese said...

That looks delicious!

Leesie said...

Yummo! This might be one for me to try - thanks for sharing ;o)