Monday, November 3, 2008

Raced for the Cure

On Sunday my teammates and I headed out to Town Lake at 8 in the morning to do our untimed run/walk 5K. A huge thank you to all my friends who donated - we raised 3x our team's pledged amount. Hurrah! As we parked our car and walked to the startpoint, we could see the crowds at a distance. The total attendance was estimated at 24,000 people. Yup, three zeros in that number.



Crowd views


Passed a pretty cathedral on the way


Dogs for the cure!


What's a race without cheerleaders?


View of the capitol


Bunny ears


At the end of the race, people were handing out roses to racers who had identified themselves as survivors of breast cancer. The most moving thing for me was the signs on backs of many people reading "I'm racing in memory of ______". How bittersweet it must be to race in the honor of someone you lost to breast cancer, and raise money hoping others don't lose as much.

1 comment:

wildtomato said...

Great job! You did it (not that I had any doubts)!

I made the sprouted bean recipe that you suggested, and it was soooo good! I had to omit the chilies because my MIL can't eat anything remotely spicy, but the next batch I have growing on the counter is going to be hot. Thanks again for the recipe.