Thursday, November 20, 2008

Bread for the chronically busy

My inability to relax continues. I just wrapped up a 4 session photography class. It was an advanced DSLR "free form" class where the instructor started topics of discussion and let it move on to whatever interested the students the most. It was a fun class format where you always got your questions answered, and I learned a thing or two about lighting. With that class over, the very next day my online Spanish class started. 

Learning Spanish online is a compromise between the desire to learn and the lack of time for an in-person class. Sound files aren't as great as talking to someone, and there is nobody listening to me. Still, I can learn words and say things like "Is it possible to give me a chair?". There is a useful life skill - chairs!

With all these demands on my time, I couldn't sustain my pain au levain frenzy and decided to make a few loaves of Simple Crusty Bread. This was also a huge hit at home. We couldn't hold off on eating so you only get half loaf pictures


Needless to say, I made changes. I used 50% whole wheat and 50% bread flour. I baked my first loaf with the grill pan of water, but it made the bottom too soft. For the second loaf I used two little bowls of water on the lower rack, offset from the stone. This gave the bottom a nice crustiness. The refrigerated & baked loaf was slightly chewy compared to the made-fresh one, but still very good. And it wasn't "no-knead" for me - I dug in with my fingers after using a wooden spoon to stir. But then, I find kneading meditative. In all, a nice little recipe. Still needs planning and rising time and isn't the same as plopping stuff in a bread machine, but perfect when you don't have 8 hours for your levain to do its thing. Not as sour (obviously) as pain au levain, but a very good alternative for the over-subscribed. 

1 comment:

wildtomato said...

I've been itching to try a no-knead bread recipe. I should start the Chez Pim one today. She uses a levain for flavor, so I can put that little levain to work! I haven't been making bread because we had a *hot* spell last week, but it feels like winter has finally arrived.