Friday, September 12, 2008

Shoot 'em Up and Penelope: Movie Reviews

Shoot 'em Up (Rated: Yay!)

Clive Owen, shooting, fighting and car chases. This movie couldn't have gone wrong even if it wanted to. Shoot Em Up opens with a very pregnant women being chased by thugs with guns and Clive joining the scene to rescue her. From here on, the rest of the movie is about Clive Owen trying to figure out who this baby is and who wants him dead, the thugs trying to figure out who Clive is and how to get him dead, and Monica Bellucci filling the "woman of interest" spot as a prostitute who is friends with Clive. While the description might sound lack lustre, this is an action flick! Don't judge the movie by its story :) There is tons of shooting, smart action sequences and a refreshing role for Paul Giamatti that breaks his "I'm so pathetic" stereotype. Add it to your queue!


Penelope (Rated: Meh-yay)

Christina Ricci plays Penelope, a girl who bears the burden of an old family curse and will literally look like a pig until she is loved by "someone like her". Her family goes on a hunt for other blue blooded ("like her") families and tries to coax them into marrying her, with no avail. From here on, we have a story of a girl growing into her shoes snout and a muted love story supported by James McAvoy. We saw this movie on an evening we were both exhausted from work. I thought I would give it a 3.5/5 and MrM thought it was only a 2. In light of that I feel I should reconsider my rating, but I would still watch it on another evening like that were I wasn't ready for a movie that would make me think. As movies go, a meh, but I do have a weakness for the fairy-tale genre. Other than Christina Ricci and McAvoy, the movie is supported by Peter Dinklage who I remember fondly from The Station Agent   

No comments: