Thursday, September 16, 2010

Man vs Woman

This is just me and not woman. But then, that's why I don't say women.

We had an existential crisis this morning - only a cup's worth of coffee beans left in the machine. MrM had finished his cup of coffee and I was still working on mine. He said something like - There is only one cup left and since I have finished my cup and you are still working on yours, can I take the one that is left?

All sorts of alarm bells went off in my head. As a kid, I always saved my chocolates. My sister would finish hers and then demand a share of mine. MrM says he had similar experiences. But in our current lives, looks like MrM decided to turn into the greedy one and make me his chocolate victim. I've never turned hostile as fast as when I've been given explanations for why what is rightfully ours should just go to him.

If he had only said "There is only one left. Do you want to split it?", chances are he would have got the whole cup. Or, at the least, half of it. But since he started with a convoluted explanation of why he was entitled to the remaining coffee, he ended up with - yup - nothing.

And I drank the extra coffee without an ounce of guilt (that's saying a lot for my prone-to-guilt personality).

1 comment:

Molly said...

*like* (not the coffee part but good for you!)