Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Not enough ears

I recently went on a little jewelery shopping spree. It all started with Mother's Day coming around. Knowing that I wouldn't be getting anything, I felt the need to buy myself something. (At this point, my husband must be looking down his nose at me, saying "Soooo, marketing worked very well on you.")

I'm going to say this upfront so you don't go through the post thinking I'm a huge money sink who spends all she earns - nothing here cost more than $40.

My Mother's Day gift to myself was this pair of earrings.
I really like them because they are small (the whole thing is less than 1/2" in length) and I can wear them to work without feeling blingy.

Later the same day, my friend brought me a pair of earrings that perfectly match a cuff bracelet she got me for my birthday last year. It was a 2-for-one Sunday for me!

What's with the retail therapy? I don't know. I guess there are days in everyone's life when you feel "If these puppies are hanging off my ear, then I can't be as insignificant as I feel". Or maybe you go to pick up the mail and the sight of a package waiting for you in the mail box makes you feel like someone was thinking of you. Even if that someone is usually yourself.

Anyway, last evening I was browsing Overstock, and I saw these two turquoise earrings. I couldn't choose. The first one looked like it would also work for work, the second one appealed to the Indian side of me. I got both.
When I reported my purchases to my husband, he said "But you don't have that many ears!". This is indeed a serious problem. And given that I don't want to get more piercings in my ears, where will I hang all these earrings? So today, I got smart.

Ta-da!

1 comment:

Molly said...

I don't think you should have to justify getting some nice things for a special day! And you shouldn't have to expect getting nothing either.