Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Starting a business in Texas

Still true to my motto: Making life busier, one obsession at a time.

Some more background and info on the setup of my photography business:

After a lot of deliberating on my photography work, where to go from here and what path to choose, I decided to operate as a business. While I could have spent a few more months hyperventilating in anxiety and finally losing interest and steam, I decided to rein in all that energy and make it happen. (Here is where you cheer me).

It has been fairly easy setting up shop here. The biggest decision for me was whether or not to LLC, and the LLC lawyer I spoke to steered me away from it. He said "When you think you have enough assets to protect, come back and talk to me". Oh well :) This was probably the best decision I made, because I don't have to mess around with permits, franchise taxes and all the jazz that comes with being an LLC.

So, on March 12th I filed an Assumed Name (DBA) with the county, for the name Meera Images. I registered my domain and hired a graphic designer to make a logo.

Color me clueless though. I didn't know there was anything more to be done until a random talk with Renee. Then I googled away and realized I had to file a Sales Tax permit (to charge and file Sales Tax) and apply for a Federal Tax ID. Armed with the Tax ID (thank you, IRS, for doing this instantly, online) I opened a business bank account to be operated under my business name.

Next up, I had to establish my web presence, which I did via buying and customizing a flash template, as well as setting up a Facebook business page. My only loose end right now is delivering prints. If you are setting up a photography business, you also need to decide whether you will have a third party do the printing & shipping, or whether you will get every print delivered to you and then package them yourself.

I've already filed my first quarterly tax report online, attended a Tax Seminar held by the city, and am all set for this new phase of my life. Color me excited!

2 comments:

Molly said...

Sweet! All that stuff sounds so complicated to me, I'm glad it wasn't too much in the way of hurdles!

crazyframes said...

Way to go Meera. I thought about doing that long, long ago in a different life but wasn't in a place to make it happen. I'm so happy for you!!!!!