I finally caught up on the world and saw a DVD of Eddie Izzard's Dress to Kill performance. I don't think I have ever laughed so much for any other DVD. You done good, Netflix. And Eddie too.
The show I watched had Eddie completely cross-dressed, and he started with the bit about "Male tomboy" vs "Drag Queens". Later that night when I saw a recording of a live show in Paris, he was saying the same thing in French (I do understand enough, specially when non-native speakers speak). So I'm going to guess this is his opening game.
Eddie went on to mock anything that could be mocked. Colonial rule, national anthems, Church of England, catholicism, American historical buildings, American anthem, anthems in general, and in turn he mocked people at large for sitting in their cocoons and not being aware of what was happening in the rest of the world. I love this kind of irreverent humor. I could laugh non-stop at others and at myself. It wasn't the cringe-in-your-seat humor that Borat brought forth, but a more "wake up and laugh at your own pompous self (and that of others)" humor. After making fun of all these things, he went on to make fun of himself. I like that in a comedian!
This DVD gets my hearty approval, for keeping me laughing and awake way past my bedtime on a "school night".
No comments:
Post a Comment