Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Ro, the shelter volunteer

A few weeks ago, Ro and I were walking around the Town Lake trail when he heard dogs barking nearby. He asked where the sound was coming from (local shelter), and I told him all about dog shelters, volunteer dog walkers, and dogs in need. He immediate said he wanted to walk the dogs, and dragged me to the shelter.

The facility is run by a local non-profit group called Austin Pets Alive and they did a great job of talking to Ro directly and answering his questions. On his request, I signed him up for the next volunteer orientation, and extracted a promise that he would help me walk Kuttu & Pixel if I helped him walk the shelter dogs (since he is under 16...).

Here is Ro, making good on his word



And I made good on mine by taking him to class. Ro, patiently sitting through a 2.5 hour orientation.
We did our first volunteer job right after. Ro playing fetch with a super cute pitbull called Andre Agassi. Tennis balls are the only toy Andre isn't scared of.

Ro made Andre sit.
Good boys.
Fetch!
At the end, we walked Andre back to his kennel and hung out with him inside it so he knew the kennel was a good place. He then walked into the nook with his bed and kibble. This is a sad picture, but an honest reminder that there are good dogs with hard lives.
Ro proudly walking his brothers. Ro might be a silly monkey, but that boy has a heart of gold. I'm so proud of him.

[All pics taken on iPhone, so excuse the lack of quality]

4 comments:

Christine said...

I love everything about this post. Everything.

lise wertlieb said...

this story warms my heart ALL OVER

Lynn said...

You are Ro are so cool. I love the smile on Andre's face when Ro is asking for a sit (and the serious expression on Ro's -- dog training clearly requires focus!).

Meredith said...

Awesome, all of it!