Monday, August 8, 2011

Bosnian meat pie

My friend wildtomato (of wild yeast bread-along fame) posted this recipe for a Bosnian Bosanski Burek recently, and I knew at once that I had to try it. I lined up a few guinea pigs for eating, enticed them with margaritas, and had them taste the burek. And you know what? It was amazing :) I served it with some Meera-style (as in, no recipe shall go unmolested) tzatziki and the pairing was perfect.

The dough, after being rolled and hand-stretched. A few inches short of 3'.


Ground beef mix laid out nicely along the long edge


Rolled and twisted. Brushed with oil.
Ready to eat!

Modifications & suggestions:
1) I accidentally added 2 tbsp oil to the beef mix. This worked out well for me.
2) I sprinkled 1/4 tsp dill weed and 1 tsp parsley flakes in the beef mix
3) This is a suggestion - if you want your pastry dough to look shiny, you might want to reserve some of the egg for an egg wash. The texture was beautiful and flaky even without it, but it wasn't shiny.

And the margarita I made to go with this was a Watermelon Margarita. I halved the recipe and made the following modifications:
1) Replace Triple Sec with Patron Orange (why not!).
2) Add juice of one more lime (so, 2 limes for half the recipe)
3) Add 1 oz agave nectar

I used a mix of margarita salt, ancho pepper powder and a pinch of sugar for the rims. Most excellent summer drink!

1 comment:

wildtomato said...

I'm so happy it turned out delicious! I agree about the egg wash - my two attempts were browned, but not shiny. I'm doing attmept #3 tonight with lamb.