Being a photographer, I often feel a lot of pressure that every picture I ever publish needs to be beautiful. This means that casual family snapshots, pictures that capture life but not anything prettier than that, all undergo intense scrutiny. I finally decided that what I needed what a camera that would disable any pretense of art. A camera that could go underwater, get dropped in a creek, go skiing with me, float along my kayak, and mostly, a camera that can barely take a good picture unless you are a rock sculpture of Daniel Craig (007) on a white sandy beach.
Enter the Fuji XP10.
Notice the selling point- water, shock, dust, freeze proof. Perfect for my purse. And kid. And the raging desire to share my mediocre pictures.
Pictures can only get worse with time, because there is no freaking lens cover. But at least I have 5x optical zoom, much better than the 3x of the rather sweet Canons. And the Canons aren't waterproof.
Teeny tiny power & shutter release buttons. Sometimes it feels like magic when it turns on. Imagine feeling like you've won the lottery every time you turn your camera on. How cool is that? The upside is that I can let Ro play with this camera all day, and only 2 out of 10 of his shutter presses actually stores anything on the card.
See all the reflection on the nice, huge LCD? That's how much glare you will get in sunlight. And there is no viewfinder. So I do a good bit of blind shooting. Apparently I can increase the LCD brightness by some huge amount. I'll run that experiment and report back.
Lastly, look at this moronic wrist strap. No cinch to tighten it around your wrist. Whose brilliant idea was that?
All in all, the camera is a bit of a lemon. But considering that I usually carry my SLR when I need any decent pics, I guess this will do. Besides, I enjoy watching Ro take pictures with it. I'll soon start posting pictures from my awesome XP10 and you guys just wait. It will be worth every cheap penny I spent on it :)
No comments:
Post a Comment