Saturday, October 23, 2010

Hunger Games: Book reviews

I read 4 books last month, three of which were the Hunger Games series: The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay. It is a really engrossing young-adult series and I read each book in 2 or 3 days, back to back. One of those addictive things.

Hunger Games is set in a world where the people of "District 12" live in a walled in district, with limited liberties and wealth. They are ruled by the Capitol, which also controls districts 1-11. District 13 was destroyed by the Capitol to teach a lesson to the districts that they cannot revolt against Capitol rule.

The Capitol organizes a contest (called The Hunger Games) which pulls 2 children out of every district for a sadistic annual ritual they host to remind the districts what the price of a revolution is. These Hunger Games are the premise of the book, and I am not going to say more about them. The series was a brisk and entertaining read. It lost pace in the final third of book 3 and I had to keep myself from skipping ahead, but that was a small blemish in an otherwise fun series. Definitely a highly recommended series.

On a completely unrelated segue, I feel the need to mention that you need to see the movie "District 13" if you haven't already done so. It has nothing to do with these books, but if you like a lot of action, you'll really like it.

1 comment:

Molly said...

I thought they were great books too! In a similar vein, you might also enjoy Firelight (the beginning of a new series) and the Gregor the Overlander series.