We got a small bag of red & green okra, a few eggplants and bell peppers, some hot peppers, one head of garlic, a bunch of kale, kohlrabi, bok chois and a huge amount of basil. We also got one butternut squash that I intend to turn into RoRo's first vegetable meal. Pictures of my loot:




I've never cooked with kale or kohlrabi before and in the last 2 days we've had kale salad with jicama, kohlrabi greens cooked with kidney beans, MrM ate one kohlrabi raw and today we had lightly wilted (on the stovetop) kale leaves with garlic. We also made a stir fry with bok choi and some of the hot & sweet peppers. Its been a gastronomical weekend despite MrM being sick. Or maybe it is *because* he is sick & we had to cancel all social plans for 48 hours!
On top of this yummy loot, we had visitors who brought us fresh herbs from their garden. The whole bouquet smelled divine. I'll admit I don't know what the herb with the red flowers is, and I invite information :). We've made good use of the serranos already.

Since we had basil in this bunch, we turned all our farmshare basil into pesto. This might be the smoothest pesto I've had. Thanks to MrM for the genius nut substitution (orig recipe was pine-nut based pesto).
Cashew Basil Pesto
1.5 c packed basil leaves
1 garlic clove
1/3 c cashew nuts
1/4 c olive oil
1/4 cup green olives (we stuck with the green theme)
3/4 tsp salt
Run food processor till smooth. It was so good. We ate some and froze some. Never know when you need pesto :)
1 comment:
Oh, I know the answer!
*raises hand*
Those red flowers are bachelor's buttons. They're decorative, so please don't eat them! :) You can leave them out of water, and they will dry and retain their vibrant colors.
Your CSA loot looks so good, in part due to the awesome photos. I've never seen red okra before!
Post a Comment