A few weeks ago, one of my friends gave me her ice-cream maker attachment for the Kitchenaid stand mixer. I first made a really simple orange sorbet with it. This was my second, rather ambitious, experiement. I followed this recipe from David Lebovitz, skipping only the rum (OMG!) because I didn't have any handy (double OMG!).
My pictures lack the beauty of his, since I clearly have stopped whipping my SLR out for something a phone can capture ;-)
First, the jaggery. It was a lighter variety than his, so the color difference is expected.
I added 1/4 of the coconut milk to the jaggery, letting it dissolve. Think of making simple syrup, but with jaggery and coconut milk instead of sugar and water.
Next, I added 1/4-1/2" thick slices of over-ripe bananas. I used 3, since I was halving the original recipe. (Triple OMG!)
Once the bananas were cooked through, they got transfered to the blender for smoothing.
And then I left this in the fridge, overnight. Voila! Something very delicious that looks like mud. But, egged on by Ro's excited tasting of the slurry, I continued.
It went in the ice-cream maker, and churned around for an hour.
Happy chef's assistant. His job is to flip the levers on the mixer, and refrain from double dipping curious fingers.
And there we were! The ice-cream (can you call it that if it has no cream?) was delicious. It had an Indian flavor profile, specially if you are south Indian, and consume appams and vella-payasam.
I'm trying to read more about managing consistency, getting correct sugar levels, and what makes ice-creams set hard or melt soon. Meanwhile, I'm happy with something yummy, with less than 5 ingredients, all of which I can buy without learning chemical names! :)
2 comments:
Some years ago I made many experiments with a lot of different ice cream recipes. The difficulty is to keep it creamy when you do not finish the ice cream right on the spot. So it has to stay in the freezer... First I tried a very good ice cream maker, but now I am back to the good old parfait recipes - you can keep those in the freezer for many weeks and they are still perfectly creamy and yummy. Sugar and alcohol (always rum available... or Baileys...) helps a lot, I think eggs also are a good idea. Try nutella ice cream ! :)
David Lebovitz's ice cream recipes are the best! I brought his salted caramel ice cream to a few gatherings and I still get requests to make it years later.
Post a Comment