Monday, January 28, 2013

The Very First Dinosaur

Ro walked up to me one day and asked "Mom, where did the very first dinosaur come from?"

[The truth is, Ro walked up to daddy, and daddy passed him off to me. I took one for the team :) ]

I tried escaping too, with "From an egg.".
"But who made the egg if he was the very first dinosaur?".

So I started my long winded story of how something made a teeny weeny thing, even smaller than an ant, come to life. Then teeny-weeny bug had to change when things got too hot or too cold. It made bigger things. Then some of those things started living near water, and slowly grew gills and we got fish.. so on. All the way up to mammals. I did a rather wonderful job.

"So mom, if a cat swims a lot, will it turn into a fish? Before it dies?"

OK, so I didn't do a wonderful job with the timeline, but HEY. I taught my four year old about evolution. It makes sense, since I taught him about extinction last month :) I also came up with a (to me) smart analogy about cookie making.
Wheat + mill -> flour.
Flour + water -> dough.
Dough + pressure -> flattened dough for cutting.
Cut up dough + heat -> Crunchy cookie.
-- I call this creativitionism :)

Sometimes it is hard work being an atheist :)

No comments: