Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Galveston

We went to Galveston over Memorial Day, renting a 1 br house close to the beach. The first morning, MrM decided to sleep in and Ro and I headed over to the beach. Any misgivings I had about beaches that allow cars on the sand were put to rest by the fact that I could PARK ON THE BEACH! This translates to - not having to drag a toddler across parking lots and roads to get to your destination.

The beach was covered with golden-green seaweed, and seagulls danced over us the entire time.




We went on a little boat tour and saw a bunch of dolphins swimming around. The funniest sight was a shrimp boat that attracted every bird in a half mile radius. Seafood buffet! There were birds everywhere, the most common being seagulls and pelicans.







The sobering part of the trip was the houses that still showed the damage inflicted by Hurricane Ike in 2008. The waterline covered the entire first floor, though damage extended higher than that. Sights like this house were a sad reminder all over town.



To end this post on a happy note: We had breakfast both mornings of our trip at Mosquito Cafe. Definitely a must-do if you are in Galveston. Best eggs benedict ever.

2 comments:

Clarese said...

Beautiful pictures! I always planned to get to Galveston when I lived in TX, but didn't make it there. Looks like I missed out.

Meredith said...

Beautiful photos Meera, it looks like Ro had an awesome time at the beach.