Monday, June 18, 2012

St John, Virgin Islands, Part 1

I had a splendid five day vacation at St John, one of the islands of the US Virgin Islands. I've decided to tell the story in pictures, so prepare for many images.

Night 0: 
Got into town around 6pm. Grabbed a drink by the beach and watched the sun set.

After dark, went to this place to eat ceviche, have a bean & duck soup, and drink a mango+rum drink. This is the best food in St John!


Day 1:

A one mile hike through the US Virgin Islands National Forest

Led to this small and gorgeous strip of beach called Salomon Beach.

 Tiny little fish swam everywhere, but didn't give me a pedicure :)
 This guy was hanging out to close to me and I inched closer as quietly as I could.
 Not quiet enough.
 Crabby? Not me.

In the afternoon, I went for a refresher dive. Meaning we stayed at 35' and made sure I knew what I was doing. The dive was amazing! Sadly we forgot to take my camera in. So in the last five minutes, the dive master left me at the bottom and went up to grab the camera. We then got these few shots.

Swimming around.
 Sea spiders. They tickle.
 I wish we had pictures of the colorful stuff, but at least I saw way more than what I have in pics :)
 And again, followed by a drink at the beach.


I went to bed at night knowing I was in the right place, and so thankful I had planned all these activities and booked them up front to prevent any attacks of laziness. I also finished Lesson 1 of Rosetta Stone spanish :)


2 comments:

wildtomato said...

Your vacation looks heavenly! I could use some warm weather and beach action right about now.

harleymom said...

That second pelican picture is gorgeous. These look like a wonderful start to your vacation.